Historical Photo Wall

The photo wall instore is often talked about amongst visitors and locals alike. Please see photos and their significance to the Moriac General Store.

VIPSites Media

Moriac General Store - Circa 1925

One of two original buildings funded by E.E Hendy as part of his Moriac Township plan in 1924. The Store and dwelling were designed by architect Fred Purnell. The store was established in 1925 by JWG Harvey and Co.

John William Grant (Jack) Harvey became tenant and then owner of the newly constructed Moriac General Store. Jack's wife, Harriet Harvey (nee Gillett) gave birth to five children, Grant, Aileen, Graham, Max and Miriam and the family ran the general store for 20 years.

The General Store was also the post office and the telephone exchange in town. Jack's sister Charlotte (Lotty) held the position of Postmistress and telegraph operator for many years.

Jack's granddaughter and Max's daughter Gayle Anderson (nee Harvey) also owned the store from 2016 to 2022, when it was purchased by the current owners.

VIPSites Media

Moriac Township Plan - Circa 1924/1925

Featured here in this photo, are the original dwellings of the the township in its infancy around mid to late 1920's.

Fairview is pictured bottom left (more details below)

Wandella is pictured bottom centre. This dwelling was built in 1905 by Samuel McHarry, a carpenter as his family home.

Moriac Primary School original school is pictured middle left

Moriac General Store is pictured centre

To the right of the Moriac General Store in the picture, the foundations were being laid for the second of the original buildings funded by E.E Hendy as part of his township estate. The store was built out of concrete blocks made by the original tenant, Alfred Thomas James and it originally served as his butcher's shop, operated in partnership with his wife Rose James (nee Balcombe). It still stands today and has run for many years as a successful Saddlery shop.

VIPSites Media

JWG Harvey & Co Truck

Pictured here is JWG Harvey and Co employee Harry Dittman and three of the Harvey children. Another child's legs can be pictured on top the bales.

This truck was later fitted with a two deck stock crate manufactured by local blacksmith, Oscar Lugg.

VIPSites Media

Keith Newling

Keith was a proud breeder of Ayrshire cattle, showing his milking cows at the Melbourne and Geelong shows. His passion for farming and community left an indelible mark on Moriac.

Keith also worked for a period of time for JWG Harvey & Co for a period of time in the 1940's and 1950's.

In 1965, Keith and his wife, Millie generously donated a large parcel of land for public tennis courts, sparking the creation of the Moriac Sports Centre which locals would now know as “Newling Reserve”.

By Easter 1970, four asphalt courts and a pavilion were ready, and Keith and Millie had the honor of opening them to the community with a tournament featuring 78 players.

Today, Keith’s legacy continues at the Moriac General Store, which is co-owned by his grandson and staffed by two of his great-grandchildren, carrying on his spirit of dedication and history to our wonderful town

VIPSites Media

Fairview

Pictured bottom left of the township map picture, this property was originally part of the Ravenswood Estate. The property was acquired by the Deppeler Brothers in 1908 and this dwelling was constructed in c1910 most likely for their parents, Gottfried and Letitia Deppeler.

Residing at Fairview now, are the current owners of the Moriac General Store and their five children.

VIPSites Media

Moriac Primary School

Moriac Primary School (school number 4117) was opened on 1 August 1922 built by the Moriac Progress Association on land donated by the Deppeler Family.

The original weatherboard school has since grown to an enrollment of over 200 students.

VIPSites Media

Moriac Primary School opening c1922

Moriac Primary School (school number 4117) on the school opening day.

VIPSites Media

Moriac Primary School

School photo in 1956

VIPSites Media

Mount Moriac Primary School

Mount Moriac Primary School (School number 1608) was opened around 1875.

VIPSites Media

Modewarre School Photo

1932 Modewarre School Photo (school number 396).

Early records are much confused about the several schools in Modewarre. School number 396 appears to be the continuation of the Anglican School which opened in 1853.

VIPSites Media

Moriac General Store

Circa 1970's

VIPSites Media

Modewarre Football Club

1952 Premiership Photo featuring two local legends John Russell and Max Harvey pictured side by side, second row from left.

John Russell made his senior debut at 17 against Freshwater Creek and went on to play in a club record 292 senior games, winning three premierships, three club best-and-fairest awards and was named in Modewarre’s greatest team from 1951-2000.

Max Harvey’s career highlights at Modewarre mirror those of Russell, having won three premierships, three club best-and-fairest awards and also being named in Modewarre’s greatest team from 1951-2000. Max is the son of Moriac General Store original owners Jack & Harriet and is said to be the child pictured atop the bales on the truck in the previous picture.

Modewarre Football Netball Club named its under-9 sides Modewarre Russell and Modewarre Harvey in honour of these two local legends.

VIPSites Media

Hay Carting

The gentleman seated far right of the picture is Mr David McPhee (born in 1852, died in 1940). He is the great, great grandfather of the current shop owner, Glenn.

Glenn's grandmother, Millie Newling (nee McPhee) was married to Mr Keith Newling who is pictured above with his Ayrshire cow.

David McPhee (pictured) was Millie's grandfather.

The McPhee and Newling family tree dates back many generations in the district.

This picture is dated around c1890's

VIPSites Media

Modewarre Football Club

.

VIPSites Media

Moriac General Store

Circa mid 1960's

Frank and Betty Spokes and their family ran the store from approx. 1965 to 1975 and this vehicle out the front is the local school bus!

John and Judy Baker then bought the store from the Spokes' in late 1975. John ran the school bus service until the bus was deemed unfit for purpose and replaced by a Toyota Coaster around 1976/1977.

The Baker family then sold the store in late 1978 to Norm and Pam Hair.